REQUIREMENTS AND PRIOR KNOWLEDGE
There is no formal prerequisites for this course.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE SUBJECT
This is an introductory course that covers some of the most fundamental topics of exact string pattern recognition.
There will be general descriptions of those topics, but there will not
be an in-depth discussion of each. Instead, the course is intended to
give the student an overview of the field.
OBJETIVES: KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
The goals of this course include:
- To know the theoretical and algorithmic foundations of exact string pattern recognition.
- To provide the students with a hands-on approach that will include
their knowing practical issues involved in the programming of patternrecognition algorithms.
- To know the main applications of exact string pattern recognition to other problems in computer science.
- To know some applications of exact string pattern recognition to problems found in other fields, in particular, in Computational Biology and Computational Music Theory.
Course notes written by Paco Gomez.
EVALUATION ACTIVIVTIES OR PRACTICALT ASKS
- For the February examination session:
- Attendance of the 75% of sessions is required.
- Course grade will be assigned based on scores on four homework
assignments. There will be both theoretical and practical (programming)
assignnments. There will at least 4 assignments and at most 6,
depending on time and pace.
- Each assignment will have the same weight over the final grade.
- One of the assignments will consist of a programming project.
- A pass is obtained with 50 points over 100.
- For the other examination sessions students will have to hand over a project (60%) and write an exam (40%).