RECOMMENDED BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE
For this course is recommended to have previous knowledge on these subjects:
- Mechanic of buildings
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE COURSE
The course “Introduction to Building Structures” has been elaborated from the educational
material that the professor PhD. Alfonso del Río Bueno has developed in these last years at the
Technical School of Architecture of the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid.
The aim of this course is the introduction in building structures of
the students. This course is about simple trusses. The main objectives
of this course are that at the end, the students are
able (i) to recognize and build models of simple trusses, (ii) to
calculate loads, reactions and axial forces and (iii) to estimate local
deformations and movements in specific points.
OBJECTIVES OF THE COURSE
This Course is designed for the students to achieve the following skills:
- To be able of recognize the typical trusses in buildings.
- To be familiar with structural models and be able to understand and to build models with
hinge joints and restriction nodes.
- To be able of calculate the loads, reactions and axial forces of trusses structures.
- To get the knowledge of the fundamental principles of the mechanical behavior of materials.
- To be able to calculate the deformations and movements of trusses structures.